Chief Justice Walter Onnoghen was again absent from court on Monday as the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) resumed hearing on his case.
The federal government through the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) had filed a six count charges against the CJN for alleged false assets declaration.
His lawyer who appeared before the CCT had stated that the reason why the CJN was not present was because he wasn’t served personally as required by law.
The CCT Chairman, Mr. Danladi Umar, consequently issued Onnoghen another summon, but the CJN still failed to appear before it.
Nigerian Government demands Onnoghen’s resignation
Meanwhile, the Nigerian Government on Tuesday said that it wants Chief Justice Onnoghen to resign from office.
Aliyu Umar, the government prosecutor in Onnoghen’s trial, said that the government wants the CJN out of office.
Mr. Onnoghen’s lawyer, Wole Olanipekun (SAN), who is leading a team of over 50 defence counsels for the CJN, said that the judge was absent at the hearing because of the cases that were instituted against the tribunal proceeding.
A Federal High Court had ruled last week that the CJN’s trial be suspended.
The National Industrial Court had also ordered the federal government, the CCT, the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF), Abubakar Malami; and the Inspector General of Police, not to sack Justice Onnoghen from office.
The federal government prosecuting counsels however noted that the ruling by the Federal High Court would not stand because the tribunal has parallel powers as well, saying that only the Court of Appeal could issue rulings that would binding the tribunal.
The Court of Appeal had already fixed January 24 for hearing on the matter.