On Thursday, Justice Ahmed Mohammed of the Federal High Court in Abuja, affirmed the bail granted to Mr. Sambo Dasuki, the former National Security Adviser under Ex-President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration who was accused of money laundering and unlawfully possessing a firearm by the Federal Government.
The judge said that since the prosecution counsel, Oladipo Opeseyi, did not object to Dasuki’s bail, he (Dasuki) should continue enjoying the bail condition granted to him since 2015 when he was initially arraigned.
Dasuki had however since 2015 when he was granted bail by Justice Adeniyi Ademola being in the custody of the Department of State Services (DSS).
The Federal Government had also ignored two other bail order issued by Justice Peter Affen and Justice Husseini Baba-Yusuf of a Federal High Court in Abuja.
Even the ECOWAS Court had ordered for the release of Sambo Dasuki, describing his detention by the government as illegal and unlawful.
But all court orders had been so far vehemently ignored.
Justice Mohammed’s ruling yesterday came after Dasuki’s plea in the amended seven-count charge against him.
In the amended charge, Dasuki was accused of being in possession of prohibited firearms (Trevor Rifles) without the required licences in July 2015 which is contrary to Section 28 of the Firearm Act Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004.
He was also accused of money laundering, having allegedly found in his possession at his house $40,000, N5million and £20,000 in July 2015. The money were said to be proceeds of unlawful act contrary to Section 15(3) of the money laundering prohibition act 2011.
The amended charged also revealed that $150,000 and N37million allegedly being part of proceeds of unlawful act was also found at his Sokoto residence on July 16, 2015.
Mr. Dasuki however denied all the charges.
The prosecution counsel consequently told the court of his readiness for trial and sought protection for witnesses to testify against the former NSA in a secret trial.
Justice Ademola had sometime in 2015 dismissed the application for a secret trial on Dasuki because the prosecution had already revealed the names and addresses of all the witnesses.
The judge however adjourned the case till May 11, 2017 for the motion for secret trial to be determined.