Good Morning Nigeria! Here’s our picks on today’s top stories in Naija. Enjoy!
1. Ahead of the August 5, 2019 #RevolutionNow protest, security operatives have taken over the National Stadium in Surulere, Lagos State.
The Nigeria Police had in a statement by the Inspector General, Adamu Muhammad, warned that the protest is a treasonable offence and no one should associate with it.
The Department of State Services (DSS) had on Saturday arrested the man spearheading the protest, Mr. Omoyele Sowore.
2. Leaders in the South, including the apex Yoruba socio-political group, Afenifere; the apex Igbo group, the Ohanaeze Ndigbo; the Middle Belt group; the Pan-Niger Delta Forum; have unanimously opposed the plan to revisit the Water Resources Bill by the Senate.
The groups say the plan is a plot to bring back the vehemently rejected Ruga idea, describing it as “internal colonialism and another Rural Grazing Area in disguise.
The Bill which was rejected by the 8th Senate under the leadership of Bukola Saraki, would give the Federal Government control of water resources around the Rivers Niger and Benue and lands around as well.
3. Prof. Attahiru Jega, a former Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), who recently joined the Peoples Redemption Party (PRP) says that he chose the party because he is a disciple of its founder, late Mallam Aminu Kano.
Report has it that he joined the party to reposition it for more nationalistic outlook ahead of the 2023 general election.
4. Chief John Odigie-Oyegun, the National Chairman of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), has described Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo State as a performer who needs to be encouraged.
Oyegun’s statement came as a response to the alleged plan by the Ex-Governor of Edo State who is now the National Chairman of APC, Adams Oshiomhole, to remove him from office.
He however noted that removing Obaseki would destailise the state.
“If anyone wants to remove him and destabilise the state, it’s wrong. The governor is delivering good governance to the people. They should wait until the party primary. I call on everyone to continue to support the governor,” he said.
5. The Nigeria Police in its reaction to the arrest of Mr. Omowole Sowore, the Presidential Candidate of the African Action Congress (AAC) ahead of the planned August 5, 2019 protest, says that the planned protest is a treasonable felony.
Sowore was forcefully taken away by the secret operatives from his apartment in an ungodly hour of the night.
The Inspector General of Police, Adamu Muhammad, following his arrest and call for his release by Nigerians says that the planned ‘#RevolutionNow’ protest spearheaded by Sowore is a treasonable offence. He further warned everyone to stay away from the protest which is supposed to hold today. Read this big story published on Naija Buzz News for more details