Good Morning Nigeria! Hope you had a wonderful weekend! Here’s what you need to know this Monday morning 🙂. Enjoy!
1. The Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria defends payment of N13.5million monthly apart from N750,000 salary to senators. Human Rights activist, Mr. Femi Falana, urges President Muhammadu Buhari to halt the payments which is considered as illegal salaries and allowances to the lawmakers.
2. Alcoholic drinks and cigarettes is expected to cost more as President Muhammadu Buhari approves new excise duty rates.
3. President Muhammadu Buhari’s Minister of Information and Culture, Mr. Lai Mohammed, in Berlin, the capital of Germany, at a mini town hall meeting which was organized for members of staff of the Nigerian Embassy, said that contrary to fake news being peddled on social media, Buhari is actually transforming Nigeria.
4. The Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu, at the 74th Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (Africa Region) Executive Committee dinner, says that he did not call for military coup or intervention in the affairs of the nation. Adding that certain people took it out of context and alleged that he was calling for military coup.
5. Governor Yahaya Bello of Kogi State on Sunday reportedly ordered to sacking of his commissioners and 21 local governments administrators. But he however reversed his order 10 minutes later and asked the officials to continue their respective duties.
6. Mr. Osita Okechukwu, the Director General of the Voice of Nigeria, says that Ndigbo will be the major beneficiaries of President Muhammadu Buhari’s second term in office. He urged the Igbo to support President Buhari’s second term agenda adding that restructuring was already part of Buhari’s plan in 2019.
7. Mr. Segun Oni, a former governor of Ekiti State and Chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC), said that if he is given the chance to lead the state again, he will priorities youth empowerment as a way of combating poverty in the state.
8. The National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Uche Secondus, says that only the PDP can rescue Nigeria from total collapse.