Good Morning Nigeria! Here are few stories you need to know this Monday morning. Enjoy!
1. As former Vice President Atiku Abubakar battles his allegedly stolen mandate at the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal (PEPT) against President Muhammadu Buhari, more revelation on the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) Server controversy keeps unfolding.
Naija Buzz News in a recent report published how the electoral body responded to the claim by Atiku at the PEPT. INEC in its response said that Atiku and PDP are asking them to provide a server they don’t have.
Naija Buzz News also reported how an INEC National Official revealed that a central server was used in the Osun election which was held in 2018 before the 2019 general election. The electoral official however further noted that although it was used in Osun, the technology was not used in the general elections.
Several officials of the electoral umpire who participated in the 2019 presidential election as electoral officers reveals that they transmitted results electronically to a central server through the smart card reader. Read the report on the INEC SERVER controversy published by Naija Buzz News
2. Vice President Yemi Osinbajo on Sunday while addressing congregation during a church service at the Redeemed Christian Church of God in Bronx, New York, said that the current challenges facing the country were signs that Nigeria was bound for greatness.
“Our country is bound for greatness. Whenever you hear that ‘oh, there are conflicts, oh there are difficulties’, just know that it is impossible to be great without difficulties,” the VP who is the United States on a 4 day visit said.
3. Bandits in Zamfara State stormed Yankaba community in Kaura Namoda Local Government Area, killing one person and kidnapping about 7 others on Friday around 11:30pm.
Among those kidnapped is the District Head of Yankaba, Buhari Ammani, his 13 year old son and his 3 wives.
The bandits also killed a resident of the area identified as Siddi Abubakar.
The country has since the beginning of 2019 witness a spate in banditry and kidnapping in the North, especially in the North-West region. The Inspector General of Police revealed that over 75% of banditry and kidnapping in the first quarter of 2019 happened in the north.
4. Governor Bala Mohammed of Bauchi State has made a shocking revelation on the activities of his predecessor, Ex-Governor Mohammed Abubakar.
Mohammed revealed that Abubakar between January and May 2019 spent N2.3billion to buy materials for burial in Bauchi State during his administration.
He made the shocking revelation to journalists in the state.
The governor who spoke through his aide, Dr. Ladan Salihu, alleged that N900million was spent on the purchase of white clothes purportedly used for wrapping corpses, while N1.4billion was used for woods to lace graveyards. Read More on Naija Buzz News
5. Naija Buzz News analysed the details of the INEC Server controversy. Here’s what it unfolded;
Naija Buzz News reports that INEC had made preparations and provisions for electronic transmission and collation of results in the 2019 general elections.
INEC also apparently told its Presiding Officers to transmit data (accreditation and results) to a central server (which location we don’t know) according to Page 10 (C)(x) of the INEC electoral regulations and guidelines for the 2019 general elections also mandated presiding officers to transmit the result as prescribed in the Electoral Act.
The problem however is that the amended Electoral Act to accommodate the electronic collation and transmission of result by law was not signed into Law by President Muhammadu Buhari.