Good Morning Nigeria! Here’s what you need to know this Friday morning 🙂. Enjoy!
1. Hon. Yakubu Dogara, the Speaker of the National House of Representatives, on Thursday while speaking during the opening of a public hearing by the House Ad Hoc Committee on Utilisation of N350billion Natural Resources Fund and Federal Government Investments Proceeds and Leakages in Solid Minerals at the National Assembly, revealed that over the years, the Federal Government, states and private organizations allegedly diverted N320billion from the Natural Resource Funds created by former President Olusegun Obasanjo.
2. President Muhammadu Buhari while hosting members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) South-West Caucus to a dinner at the Villa, said that the last Ekiti State governorship election which was won by Governor Ayodele Fayose was characterized by hanky-panky. Buhari described the election as an unfortunate saga. “This is crucial because I remember the hanky-panky that attended the last gubernatorial election in Ekiti State in 2014. I recall the firsthand account I received from some of the dramatis personae in the unfortunate saga,” Buhari said. All aspirants who lost the ticket to Dr. Kayode Fayemi were also present at the dinner.
3. The former factional chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Senator Ali Modu Sherrif, on Thursday met with President Muhammadu Buhari behind closed-doors at the Presidential Villa in Abuja. Yesterday was the first time Sherrif would be meeting Buhari since he joined the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC). Sheriff who promised to speak to journalists when he arrived to meet Mr. President however refused keeping his promise, as he only exchanged pleasantries with some governors who were in the Villa and left.
4. Governor Ibrahim Dankwambo of Gombe State on Wednesday while speaking to State House Correspondents revealed that 18 revenue generating agencies failed to remit N526billion and $21billion into the Federation Account between 2010 and June 2015. He stated this after the National Economic Council meeting presided over by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo at the Presidential Villa in Abuja. The agencies includes; the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), the Federal Inland Revenue Service, Nigeria Customs Service, Nigerian Ports Authority, Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency, the Central Bank of Nigeria, the Department of Petroleum Resources, the Nigerian Petroleum Development Company, the Nigerian Communications Commission and others.
5. Mr. Olusegun Adeniyi, a former Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to late President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, on Thursday while speaking during the review of his book, ‘Against the run of play’, at the Ibadan School of Government and Public Policy, said that the opposition parties had yet to demonstrate how they would defeat President Muhammadu Buhari in 2019. He noted that unlike in 2015, a year before the general election people already knew they wanted to vote for. But now everyone wants Buhari out but nobody knows the challenger. He further noted that they are only 2 political parties right now, the APC and the PDP. All other movements like; the Red Card, Third Force and other are only helping the incumbent President.