Good Morning Nigeria! Here are a few of what you need to know this Monday morning????. Enjoy!
1.The regional leaders and socio-cultural groups from the six (6) geopolitical zones in Nigeria have adopted Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), as consensus candidate for the forthcoming February 16 election. The pan-Yoruba group, Afenifere; the Northern Elders Forum; Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Pan-Niger Delta Forum and the Middle Belt Forum; all expressed their support for Atiku, saying that he possesses the capability and required knowledge to lead Nigeria.
2. Human rights activist, Femi Falana (SAN), has urged the Federal Government to withdraw the criminal charges filed against the suspended Chief Justice of Nigeria, Walter Onnoghen. Falana addressed the letter to the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, urging the minister to advise Buhari to reverse Onnoghen’s suspension because a public officer cannot be removed from office because of an ex parte order granted by any court or tribunal in Nigeria.
3. The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in a recent statement issued on Sunday said that Nigerians would not allow President Muhammadu Buhari to rig the forthcoming presidential elections, saying that Buhari must accept his imminent defeat when it comes on February 16. Mr. Kola Ologbondiyan, the National Publicity Secretary of the PDP, stated this during a press briefing in Abuja.
4. Two persons reportedly died in a bloody clash between political hoodlums at an All Progressives Congress (APC) rally in Igboora area of Oyo State. The rally led by Governor Abiola Ajimobi and the APC Governorship Candidate in the state, Adebayo Adelabu, went peaceful. Trouble however started just after the rally ended. Suspected political thugs engaged in a bloody clash that led to the death of two (one of which was identified to be the younger brother to an APC leader in Igboora community). The APC however accused the PDP of sponsoring political thugs to attack them. PDP however in its response asked the APC to look inwards for the perpetrators.
5. Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the National Leader of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), and other leaders of the Lagos State Chapter of the APC, have resolved the impeachment crisis against Governor Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos State. The Lagos State House of Assembly had threatened to commence impeachment proceedings against the governor over alleged budgetary spending and gross misconduct. “In the last one week or so, there has been some talk about a conflict between the Executive and the Legislature in Lagos. This is of great concern to us. There is no impeachment. Let there be more communication and consensus-building and understanding. All these are inbuilt in the democratic system,” Tinubu said after a meeting with the Executive and Legislature in the state.
6. Mr. Nnamdi Kanu, the Leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), in a recent broadcast on Radio Biafra, said that the Presidential Candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, is not a Nigerian. Kanu alleges that Atiku is actually a Cameroonian. “Do you know that Atiku Abubakar is from Cameroon? His area of Adamawa was in Cameroon,” he said. The self-exiled Biafran leader further accused Atiku for Alex Ekwueme’s failure to secure the PDP presidential ticket in 1999. “Some of you do not understand that the person behind the failure of Ekwueme in 1999 during PDP convention was Atiku,” he added.