Newspapers Reviews

Nigerian Newspapers Review (Saturday, 02 February, 2019 Edition)

President Buhari and Ministers

Good Morning Nigeria! Here are a few of what you need to know this Saturday morning????. Enjoy!

1.The Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) has reportedly refused to release copies of asset declaration forms of some prominent members of the President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration. The CBB had been written, requesting for copies of assets declaration forms of Chief of Staff to the President, Abba Kyari; Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha; Minister of Labour, Dr Chris Ngige; Minister of Works, Housing and Power, Babatunde Fashola (SAN); Minister of Communication, Adebayo Shittu; and Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi; Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed; Minister of Agriculture, Audu Ogbeh; Minister of State for Transportation(Aviation), Hadi Sirika; Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami; Director-General, DSS, Yusuf Bichi; and Finance Minister, Zainab Ahmed. The same CCB however did not hesitate in releasing Chief Justice Walter Onnoghen’s details for investigation.

2. It appears the ongoing Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) strike would still linger for awhile as agreement was not reached in the recent meeting between the Federal Government and the union. Dr. Chris Ngige, the Minister of Labour and Productivity, had after the meeting with ASUU leaders revealed that the Federal Government had made a final offer and was now waiting for the union to agree. He however noted that government does not have the amount ASUU is demanding. “On the issue of N50bn (demanded  by ASUU for revitalisation), we have offered what we have. We do not have N50bn  but we have offered something reasonable,” Ngige said.

3. Mr. Festus Okoye, the Independent National Electoral Commission Chairman of Information and Voter Education Committee, in a recent interview revealed that uncollected Permanent Voter Cards (PVCs) would be locked up in the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). “The reports from different states  indicate that many  Nigerians have collected their Permanent Voters Cards. Most Nigerians are aware that the commission registered a total of 84, 004,084 eligible voters. Out of this number 14, 283,734 million were registered during the Continuous Voters’ Registration. The collection of PVCs is still on and will go on till February 8.  Thereafter,  the commission will recall all uncollected PVCs and  keep them in quarantine  with  the Central Bank of Nigeria and they will remain there till the elections are over,” he said.

READ OUR POST:  Vanguard Newspaper Headlines (Wednesday, 21 December, 2016 Edition)

4. Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State has described suspended Chief Justice Walter Onnoghen as shameless, saying that the CJN has to quit. The governor noted that President Muhammadu Buhari’s decision to suspend Onnoghen was the right thing to do. “It is the proper thing to do. It is what is done in every organised and civilised society. Unfortunately, some people in Nigeria are trying to make white black and black white. They are using technicalities to delay bringing this man to Justice. Mr President did not remove Onnoghen from office. He said in honour of the judiciary, he should step aside so that the charges against him can be investigated. But the man is shameless, he does not want to go but it is time Nigerians  came out and tell him he must go. Our judiciary must be clean. Our judiciary must consist of judges who cannot be bought,” El-Rufai said.

5. Suspended Chief Justice Walter Onnoghen’s lawyers led by Wole Olanipekun (SAN) visited the Chief of Staff to President Muhammadu Buhari, Abba Kyari, and Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, in a bid to stop the arraignment of the embattled CJN on Monday at the Code of Conduct Tribunal. “We met with Abba Kyari around 10pm on Thursday because we knew he would guarantee our  access to the President. Our aim is to protect the exalted office of the CJN. The CJN must not sit in the dock on Monday,  because doing such will demystify that office. The National Judicial Council is already attending to the case and a decision will be taken next week,” one of the lawyers told punch.

6. A Federal High Court sitting in Kano has ordered the temporal forfeiture of N1.04billoin allegedly linked to wife of Ex-President Goodluck Jonathan, Mrs. Patience. The amount was found in a bank account belonging to Magel Resort Limited, a company which the directors according to the anti-graft are Mrs. Patience and her relatives. Justice A Lewis-Allagoa who presided over the court sitting ruled that; “An interim forfeiture order is granted to the Federal Government in the sum of N1,000,494,000 in the bank account of the second respondent, Magel Resort Limited maintained with the second respondent Fidelity Bank Plc.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 

 

 

Loading...

Latest News

1Push Naija is an Online Nigerian News Network for Latest Contents on Politics, Entertainment, Terrorism (Boko Haram), Militants Attack and many more happenings around Nigeria.

Copyright © 2019 1Push Web Services... | Powered by OgbodoSolution.

To Top
Open