Good Morning Nigeria! Here’s what you need to know this Thursday morning 🙂. Enjoy!
1. A Federal High Court in Abuja on Wednesday sentenced a former Governor of Taraba State, Jolly Nyame, for 14 years in prison for allegedly diverting N1.6billion in May 2007. The governor was charged to court by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in May 2007 in a 41 count charge of fraud. He was accuse of spearheading the fraudulent transfer of funds from the Taraba state treasury to a company, Saman Global, for the purchase of office equipment and stationeries that were never delivered. According to Justice Adebukola Banjoko, the various confessions of frauds against him were overwhelming and consequently, she sentenced him to 14 years without an option of fine.
2. There was drama at the Senate on Wednesday as Senator Dino Melaye resumed after several weeks away due to his health condition after he jumped out of a moving police vehicle which was forcefully moving him to Lokoja against his wish to face trail at the Federal High Court. Melaye requested that a seat be created for him at the opposition wing of the red chamber as he was apparently no longer comfortable sitting at the APC wing. Ignoring all resistance from APC senators, Senate President Saraki granted him his request.
3. Senate President Bukola Saraki has expressed sadness over the allegation by Prof. Attahiru Jega, a former Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), who said that the members of the National Assembly are bribe takers. Saraki further challenged Jega to name the bribe takers in the National Assembly, saying that his comment was embarrassing to the lawmakers. Jega had during his lecture in Abuja to mark the 2018 Democracy Day, stated that senators were notorious bribe takers who took bribes at will in the name of committee works and oversight functions.
4. The Benue State House of Assembly on Wednesday passed a Bill to prohibit marriage contract between persons of the same s*x in the state. According to the Same-S*x Marriage Prohibition Law, 2018, “a marriage contract or civil union entered into between persons of same s*x shall not be solemnized in church, mosque or any other place of worship in Benue State. Adding that any person who entered into a same-s*x marriage contract is liable on conviction to a term of 14 years imprisonment.
5. Mr. Jagaba Adams, the Chairman, House of Representatives Committee on Interior, on Wednesday announced his decision to dump the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) for the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). The lawmaker from Kaduna said that he left the APC because he was placed on suspension without end.
6. Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar at the symposium and inauguration of the Atiku Mandate Group said that he is running for President in 2019 not for selfish reasons by for the survival of Nigeria. His statement was issued by the National President and Chairman of the All Atiku Support Groups, Oladimeji Fabiyi.