Newspapers Reviews

Nigerian Newspapers Review (Tuesday, 3 July, 2018 Edition)

Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd), the former National Security Adviser

Good Morning Nigeria! Here are a few of what you need to know this Tuesday morning 🙂. Enjoy!

1. A Federal High Court in Abuja on Monday granted bail to Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd), the former National Security Adviser who severed under Ex-President Goodluck Jonathan. Dasuki had been under the custody of the Department of State Services (DSS) for about 3 years. Dasuki was however granted bail in the sum of N200million with two sureties in like sum. According to Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu, “the respondents (the DSS and the GD of the DSS, Lawal Daura) have not successfully justified the long and continued detention of the defendant. Based on the circumstances of this case and the established facts, the honourable court is of the humble but firm opinion and as affirmed by superior authorities that the applicant (Dasuki) has made out a case to warrant the intervention of this court.”

2. Vice President Yemi Osinbajo on Monday held a meeting with the Inspector General of Police, Mr. Ibrahim Idris, at the Presidential Villa in Abuja over the protest of some police operatives in Maiduguri, the capital of Borno State. The policemen on Monday protested over the non-payment of their allowances for 6 months. The spokesman of the Nigeria Police, Mr. Jimoh Moshood, however said that there was no protest in Maidiguri. According to him, the officers only went to the command headquarter in Maiduguri to complain over delay in payments. But Moshood’s statement appears to be faulty as the policemen who were fully armed reportedly blocked major highway, shooting sporadically into the air.  If that wasn’t a protest, then it must be a weird way of complaining, in my opinion.

3. The Fulani social-cultural organization, Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore, has rejected the calls for the sack of the service chiefs over the continuous killings in parts of the nation. The position of the group was made known by the Secretary General of Miyetti Allah, Saleh Al-Hassan, during an interview with Channels Television on Monday. According to Al-Hassan, those who call for the sack of the service chiefs are corrupt politicians. “We have documented 411 innocent pastoralists killed just in southern Kaduna for nothing. We have documented all the crises but because we want peace and want to promote the culture of peace and forgiveness hoping that our neighbours will continue to allow us do our business,” he said. “But the issue of arms and light weapons is a security one. I believe they (security agencies) are on top of it. With the arrests they are making, we must acknowledge the efforts security agencies have put in trying to contain criminality in this country. That is why people calling for the removal of service chiefs are either the corrupt politicians or the ones working for them. We should not fall for that gambit,” he added.

4. Dr. Hakeem Baba-Ahmed, the Chief of Staff to Senate President Bukola Saraki, on Monday announced his resignation from the ruling All Progressives Congress, urging Nigerians not to trust the party to lead the nation beyond 2019. Baba-Ahmed who noted that his decision was a painful one, said that the APC has underperformed and must not be allowed to win in 2019. “This has been a very difficult decision, to leave a party I helped form and made my humble contributions to put to power. After 3 years, however, I need to say that the APC has grossly underperformed, and has forfeited any claim to my loyalty and continued membership. I do not believe, in all conscience, that it should be trusted and encouraged to continue to govern our great country beyond 2019,” he said.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 

 

 

Latest News

To Top
Open