Ifeanyi Ejiofor, the lawyer to Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, the man spearheading the agitation for Biafra secession, has alleged that he does not know the whereabouts of his client.
He accused the Nigerian Army of invading Kanu’s residence on Thursday afternoon and declaring war on Kanu and supporters of IPOB who he described as “innocent, unarmed and defenceless.”
“The Military has declared war on the innocent, unarmed and defenceless civilians. Sporadic shooting is going on in the premises of Nnamdi Kanu now.
“The situation is serious. My client’s whereabouts has remained unknown. His entire house has been shattered with bullets and missiles.
“The soldiers had just forcefully gained entrance into his house after shooting for about 40 minutes. His entrance gate was broken and forced open. Their mission is still unknown as every person seen in his house has surrendered, including his aged parents.
“We will avail the world with the pictures of these dastardly acts,” Ejiofor said.
“In the face of this unprovoked killings, torture, abduction and malicious destruction of property, I still appeal for calm from IPOB members. Just be assured that the entire world is watching. Do not take up arms, continue to conduct yourselves in the most civilized manner you are well known for,” he added.
Kanu had alleged threat to his life after an incident on Tuesday in Umuahia. He canceled his Friday meeting in Enugu with the South-East political leaders over an alleged plan by the Nigerian Security Forces to assassinate him.
“Before now, prominent leaders and groups had insisted that I tow the line of peaceful dialogue and meet with the governors to find a lasting solution to our grievances.”
“I conceded to that request which led to the 30th of August 2017 meeting with the South-East Governors Forum at the Government House in Enugu, in the company of the very eminent Professor. Ben Nwabueze and Evangelist Elliott Ugochukwu-Ukoh.”
“In view of the concerted effort by the oppressive Nigerian state to shatter the peace and tranquility of the South-East and the rest of Biafraland through military intimidation, it has become necessary for me to clarify why, regrettably, I may not be able to attend Friday’s meeting with the South-East governors as earlier agreed, for three main reasons, Kanu said.
1. “We are currently busy attending to our dead and injured from this latest round of unprovoked military onslaught against innocent civilians in our own land. All the casualties so far were shot by men of the Nigerian Army deployed to my house and those stationed along motor ways leading into Umuahia my hometown.”
2. “I have been reliably informed also, that a detachment of … soldiers responsible for the murder of innocent unarmed IPOB family members have now been stationed near Enugu to ambush and assassinate me on my way to the meeting with the governors on Friday.”
3. “On that same Friday the 15th of September 2017, the leadership of IPOB through the instrumentality of the Directorate of State (DOS) headquartered in Germany, will be meeting to vote on the viability or otherwise of continuing our struggle in this non-violent manner. There is urgent need to begin the process of defending ourselves in the face of relentless murderous attacks from the Nigerian state.”
Nnamdi Kanu’s brother alleges that soldiers killed 4 persons in their house and took 15 away
Kanu’s brother who simply identified himself as ‘Fine Boy’, said that some soldiers invaded their house and killed four persons.
According to him, the invasion happened after about 40 minutes of heavy shoot-out at the residence at about 5pm on Thursday evening.
He added that the palace of the his father, Eze S. I. Kanu, was desecrated, his award plaques carted away and the family dog was also killed.
“You can come and see for yourself how soldiers invaded and desecrated this palace; they killed four persons and took 15 away. He said
Hundreds of Biafrans missing
Also, Mr. Emma Powerful, the spokesman of IPOB, alleged that hundreds of youths in Abia and Rivers State were currently missing.
He noted that some are presumed dead due to the ongoing military operation in the state and other were arrested and detained in military barracks.
“Hundreds of Biafran youths are still missing and presumed dead at the time of this statement,” Mr. Powerful said.
“The few survivors of the Isiala Ngwa massacre, taken to secret detention centres in army barracks in and around Abia and Rivers States, are still unaccounted for.”