Good Day Nigeria! Hope you had a great weekend! Here’s our pick on today’s top buzzy stories on Punch Newspaper. We prepare it everyday (Monday- Sunday) specifically for our visitors that enjoys Punch????. Enjoy!
1. According to reports, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has fixed December 9, 2017, for its national convention. An undisclosed top member of the party told punch that “the party has fixed December 9 for the national convention. The convention will be used to elect new national officers of the party and also be used to ratify the party’s new constitution.” “The constitution will take effect immediately after the ratification and will be binding on all members including those being expected to join us from other political parties.” The undisclosed source added.
2. Wife of Ex-President Goodluck Jonathan, Mrs. Dame Patience Jonathan, has apparently recovered her hotel worth billions of naira which was sealed off by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in June. In June the anti-graft placed a red under investigation inscriptions on the building, but it appears the inscriptions had been wiped out with grey paint on the instruction of Mrs. Jonathan.
3. Ohanaeze Ndigbo, the Igbo socio-political organization, has accused President Muhammadu Buhari of sidelining the Igbo in the recent shakeups and appointments in the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC). The group appealed to the president to revisit the recent reorganization at the NNPC in the interest of peace, unity and good governance. “This brazen disregard, marginalization and non-compliance with the federal character provisions in our constitution are the causes of lack of confidence which our youths have opposed in our present governance structure,” Chief John Nwodo, the President of Ohanaeze said.
4. On Saturday, former deputy chairmen of local government areas in Anambra State, reportedly threatened to stop the re-election bid of Governor Willie Obiano, saying that he owed them about N80million unpaid entitlements for wardrobe allowances, 28day hotel claims, furniture allowances and salary differentials for 2 years. “We want the governor to know what is going on. We are suffering and this is adversely affecting our families. The governor is a good person but some of his aides are blocking us from seeing him and lodging our complaints. There’s communication gap and we are not happy about it. It is obvious we won’t support the governor’s re-election bid,” they threatened.
5. The Imo State Chapter of Mega Party on Friday reportedly unveiled the certificate of registration issued to the new party by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC). Members trooped out in mass to celebrate and rally support for the new party.