Good Day Nigeria! Here’s our pick on today’s top buzzy stories on Punch Newspaper. We prepare it everyday (Monday- Sunday) specifically for our visitors that enjoys Punch????. Enjoy!
1. President Muhammadu Buhari in his national speech to mark the nation’s 57th Independence anniversary said that the clamour for restructuring gave some groups which he described as highly irresponsible the freedom to call for the nation’s breakup. According to him, Nigeria will never break up under him.
2. Dr. Orji Uzor Kalu, a former Governor of Abia State, said that the man who was spearheading the agitation for the secession of Biafra from Nigeria, Mr. Nnamdi Kanu, is currently in London. Kanu apparently left for London following the recent clash between his group (the Indigenous People of Biafra) with the Nigerian Army.
3. The Ekiti State Chapter of the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) said that Governor Ayodele Fayose owes workers eight months salaries.
4. Former Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon, has urged all those calling for Nigeria’s breakup to have a rethink. “Those who think of causing problems for Nigeria should, for God’s sake, think twice. I think we have had Biafra before and it has ended. Don’t resurrect it. Think of the sufferings of the people in those days, don’t recreate it because any leader will not want to be party to dismembering the country.”
5. Chief Richard Akinjide (SAN), an Attorney General and Minister of Justice in the Second Republic, said that President Muhammadu Buhari contesting election again in 2019 will be a big joke.