Good Day Nigeria! Here’s our pick on today’s top buzzy stories on Punch Newspaper. We prepare it everyday (Monday- Sunday) specifically for our visitors that enjoys Punch????. Enjoy!
1. Senator Ahmed Makarfi, the Chairman, National Caretaker Committee of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), on Wednesday in Abuja, while inaugurating its caretaker committees for Lagos ad Kwara States, said that members of States Caretaker Committees are not allowed to contest any executive position in the party. He noted that the committee should rather work to build their respective states. “A state that has 30 states for instance has to set up 20 caretaker committees. Not everyone can find accommodation in the caretaker committees. Those who want to aspire to elective offices should not aspire to be member of the caretaker committees,” he said.
2. Maj. Gen. John Enenche, the Director of Defence Information, on Wednesday, while speaking on Channels TV said that, the military is not monitoring hate campaigners with the aim of arresting them, noting that it does not have powers to arrest Nigerians for such infraction. According to him, the military would only monitor the social media to sheave out information that could help in planning its operations. “There is nothing like that. We do not have power to arrest people for hate speeches. It is just false assertion, against the military and against my humble self that I said that we will be arresting people or checkmating people.”
3. President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday after the Federal Executive Council meeting travelled to Daura, his hometown in Katsina State, for the Eid-el-Kabir celebration. He was received at the airport by Governor Aminu Masari of Katsina State who led other top government officials to receive the president. Dr. Kabir Abdulmumin, the Emir of Katsina, was also at the airport to welcome Mr. President.
4. Governors of the South-East States, on Wednesday, at the Enugu State Government House, held talks with Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, the Leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB). It is the first time the South-East leaders are meeting the man spearheading the Biafra agitation. Present at the meeting were Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi of Enugu State, Governor Dave Umahi of Ebonyi State, the Deputy Governor of Anambra State who represented Governor Willie Obiano, Governor Rochas Okorocha of Imo State and Governor Okezie Ikpeazu of Abia State.
5. The Nigerian military fighting the Boko Haram insurgents in North-East Nigeria, on Wednesday in a press briefing, issued by Maj. Gen. Ibrahim Attahiru, the Theatre Commander of Operations Lafiya Dole, said that it has cleared Boko Haram insurgents from 630 settlements, killed 82 terrorists, rescued 468 persons, in the North-East region in the last two months.