Good Day Nigeria! Here’s our pick on today’s top buzzy stories on Punch Newspaper. We prepare it everyday (Monday- Sunday) specifically for our visitors that enjoys Punch????. Enjoy!
1. Mr. Oseloka Obaze, a former Secretary to the Anambra State Government, has won the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Anambra State Governorship Primary Election ahead of the November 18 governorship poll in the state. Obaze got 672 votes to defeat his rivals, Dr. Alex Obiogbolu and the CEO of Capital Oil, Dr. Ifeanyi Uba, who got 190 and 94 votes respectively. Obaze will face the big contenders in the election, the candidate for APGA who is currently the Governor of the State, Willie Obiano, the All Progressives Congress candidate, Dr. Tony Nwoye, in the poll. Obaze served as Anambra state SSG under Governor Peter Obi from 2012 to 2015 and all under the current governor, Obiano.
2. The Fiscal Responsibility Commission (FRC), in a report on the Excess Crude Account, said that the Federal Government withdrew the sum of N359.39billion from the Excess Crude Account in 2015 to fund payment of petroleum products subsidy in 2015. According to FRC, the withdrawal made by FG to fund subsidy on petroleum products from the account was illegal, noting that it contravened the purpose for which the Excess Crude Account was set up. FRC added that the total remittance into the ECA in 2015 was only N48.94billion compared to N796.7billion in 2014.
3. Mr. Adamu Kamale, a member of the National House of Representatives, representing Michika/Madagali Federal Constituency of Adamawa State, on Monday, alleged that the Nigerian military often fed President Muhammadu Buhari with wrong information on Boko Haram capacity to still carryout deadly operations in the North-East region. “I am from Madagali and I can authoritatively tell you that my people are not safe. The military are always feeding Mr. President with wrong information that things are normalizing; it’s not true,” the lawmaker said
4. In a statement issued by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mr. Laolu Akande, the VP during the US Congressional Delegation visit to the Presidential Villa, said that the President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration has reached out to the United States Government to help in the recovery of stolen funds and ensuring that corrupt public officials do not have safe haven in the US. “We have reache out to the US government with respect with helping us with the repatriation of proceeds of crime and proceeds of corruption,” Osinbajo reportedly said.
5. The United States Pentagon has reportedly informed the US Congress of the sale of 12 Super Tucano A-29 ground attack aircraft and weapons valued at $593million (N181billion) to the Nigerian Government to fight the Boko Haram terrorists in the North-East region of Nigeria, according to Reuters.