Senate President Bukola Saraki on Wednesday said that the Inspector General of Police, Mr. Ibrahim Idris, was planning to frame and implicate him.
According to Saraki on Wednesday while speaking to his colleagues, the IGP had transferred some criminal suspects undergoing interrogation in Kwara to make statements to implicate him.
“Last night, my state governor revealed to me an information at his disposal that a group of suspects who have been arrested in our state for cultism, whose investigation has been completed and were about to be under prosecution under the state law on the advice of DPP and the ministry of justice, all of a sudden being ordered to be transferred to Abuja this morning,” Mr Saraki said.
“The information reaching him from the commissioner of police (is) that they have been directed by IGP to bring them to Abuja. With the information that he has, they would find how to alter their statement already made in Ilorin and try and implicate the state government and particularly myself. I felt that as we speak now, these suspects are already here in Abuja,” he added
“These acts I don’t know whether to call it desperation or intimidation. All actions to undermine our democracy (are) a recipe for anarchy because we are doing our work by asking officials to obey the law, due process and subject themselves to constituted authority. I think it is important (we bring) this dangerous development to your attention, country and the international authority of the impunity we are undergoing in this country and the danger to our democracy,” he noted.
READ FULL STATEMENT BY THE SENATE PRESIDENT BELOW.
STATEMENT BY SENATE PRESIDENT BUKOLA SARAKI INTIMATING SENATORS OF PLOT AGAINST HIM BY IGP
- My Distinguished colleagues, there is an issue which I need to bring to your attention very urgently.
- Last night, my State Governor, Dr. Abdulfatai Ahmed revealed to me an information at his disposal that a group of suspects who had been in police cells for several weeks for cultism and whose investigation had been concluded with prosecution about to commence under the State law based on the advice of the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) and the Ministry of Justice were ordered to be transferred to Abuja this morning.
- According to the information available to the Governor, the Inspector General of Police, Mr. Idris Ibrahim directed the Commissioner of Police in Kwara State to immediately transfer the men to the Force Headquarters. The plan, as the Governor was made to understand is that, under duress, the suspects would be made to alter the statements they already made in Ilorin. They will then be made to implicate the Kwara State Government, and in particular, myself, in their new statement.
- This plot is part of the strategy by the IGP Idris to settle scores over the declaration by this honourable Chamber that he is not qualified and competent to hold any public office, within and outside the country and that he is an enemy of Nigerian democracy based on his usual disrespectful conduct towards lawful authorities.
- In my own view, this plot is an act of desperation, blackmail, intimidation, abuse of office and crude tactics aimed at turning our country into a Police State where top officials cannot be made to obey the law, follow due process and subject themselves to constituted authorities.
- I want to bring this dangerous development to the attention of all of you my colleagues, the entire country and the international community so that you can be aware of the level of impunity in our country and the danger it constitute to our democracy.
Thank you, all
Sen. Abubakar Bukola Saraki, CON.
May 16, 2018.